When to Call
When to call Center for Miracles
210-704-3800, Monday through Friday; 210-704-2100 after hours
You suspect abuse or neglect and want guidance on the next steps.
You have a question on which diagnostic tests might need to be done and whether a child might need to go to The Children's Hospital of San Antonio Emergency Room for forensic photo-documentation
Other questions we might be able to help with:
- “Does the history reasonably explain the injury(s) in this child?”
- “Is this appropriate or abusive punishment?”
- “Could this child’s failure to gain weight be due to neglect?”
- “What other non-abusive causes are possible?”
When to call ChildSafe
210-675-9000, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
You suspect sexual abuse and want guidance on the next steps.
You have a question on whether a child needs a medical examination at ChildSafe, Center for Miracles, or The Children's Hospital of San Antonio Emergency Department.
To refer a child for a sexual abuse evaluation when the last incident of abuse occurred more than 96 hours ago.
When to call/refer to The Children's Hospital of San Antonio Emergency Department and/or Forensic Nurse Examiner program
210-704-2190, Seven days a week, 24 hours a day;
Ask for the Emergency Physician or Forensic Nurse Examiner on duty when:
- Sexual abuse may have occurred within the past 96 hours.
- The child is a suspected victim of sexual abuse or assault and has symptoms of ano-genital bleeding or pain.
- The child has visible injuries and is in need of forensic photo-documentation.