CHRISTUS Health Finalizes Sale of Baptist St. Anthony’s
March 11, 2013
The sale of CHRISTUS Health’s part ownership of Baptist St. Anthony’s (BSA) in Amarillo to Ardent Health Services was completed this week. The deal follows the announcement of the agreement in October 2012, closes more than a century of service by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word to the Amarillo community and allows CHRISTUS to move forward in its mission to extend the healing ministry of Jesus Christ and serve other communities with greater need and fewer resources.
Three Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word arrived in Amarillo from San Antonio on Feb. 13, 1901 to found St. Anthony’s Sanitarium. Through the sister’s service, guidance and selfless efforts, St. Anthony’s underwent multiple expansions and renovations – opening a nursing school, adding more beds, and bringing in more physicians to provide care. In 1996, St. Anthony’s Hospital and High Plains Baptist Hospital announced they were joining the two former competitors into a new health care system, called Baptist St. Anthony’s Health System.
Ardent now owns 80 percent of the new joint venture, and Baptist Community Services (BCS) owns 20 percent, which includes the 445-bed BSA Hospital, the Don & Sybil Harrington Cancer Center; a network of primary care, urgent care, surgical and bariatric clinics and a preferred provider network; as well as majority interests in Physicians Surgical Hospitals, ADC Endoscopy and Advanced Imaging Centers.
CHRISTUS is proud of our sponsoring congregations’ 111-year history in Amarillo and all that BSA has achieved during the BCS and CHRISTUS partnership. We leave the community with great confidence that BSA will continue to thrive, and CHRISTUS will be able to focus on providing quality care to the communities it currently serves and to new markets in need.