CHRISTUS Santa Rosa has a long history of caring for the children of San Antonio and South Texas. Since the very first days, our mission has been to extend the healing ministry of Jesus Christ.
In 1869, the first hospital in San Antonio was opened by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word – Santa Rosa Infirmary. In 1874, the Sisters began to care for children, bringing four orphans into their care.
A pediatric unit opened in the late 1800s. In 1930, the infirmary was renamed Santa Rosa Hospital.
The Children’s Hospital opened in 1959 as the region’s first hospital solely dedicated to the care of children. Early advances in medicine at the Children’s Hospital include a dedicated children’s dental clinic, a three-story surgical tower, and a specialized medical unit for orthopedic patients.
On April 20, 2012 CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Health System announced board approval from CHRISTUS Health to transform its downtown campus to The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio, the city’s world-class freestanding children’s hospital. The $135 million, 800,000 square-foot project expansion and renovation of the current campus, located in the heart of downtown, will serve as a solid infrastructure with twice as much space at one-third of the cost to build a completely new building.
In February 2013, The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio finalized agreements with Texas’ top pediatric medical providers. Baylor College of Medicine recruits, employs, and oversee physicians. Texas Children’s Hospital will provides consulting and clinical expertise for The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio.
As the nation’s seventh-largest city, San Antonio’s pediatric population is growing and has increased by more than 18 percent since 2000. In addition, this population is projected to grow by more than 30 percent over the next 20 years.
The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio is the focal point for a network of pediatric services through the community. We have multiple multi-specialty centers and clinics throughout the region. Releasing the burden from taxpayers, the not-for-profit system will continue to serve the traditionally low-profit, high touch needs of the pediatric population.
For more than 50 years, The Children’s Hospital has developed and grown services that meet specific needs in the community – and will continue to do so well into the future.