Volunteers working a minimum of 3 hours weekly, download a volunteer application here. A health screening and intensive orientation required.
Volunteers assist children in the playroom or at the bedside in a variety of activities such as arts and crafts, board games, video games, and infant play. Volunteers also help supervise children so that they have a safe and fun play experience. At times, you may be asked to stay with a child so that a parent may take a well deserved break. Volunteers also help with special events and planned activities. Volunteers will assist with maintaining infection control standards by helping to clean toys. Under the supervision of the Child Life Department volunteers will assist with toy, art, and book carts.
For the safety of our patients and families, volunteers must be able to exhibit the following skills:
- Safely lift a minimum of twenty-five pounds (equivalent to an infant or toddler), AND
- Push and pull wagons, wheelchairs, IV pumps, and oxygen tanks.
- Demonstrate self initiative and independence in play with children.
- Demonstrate ability to respond to and communicate patient needs both routine and urgent.
Child Life volunteers are asked to commit themselves to at least three hours weekly, for a minimum of one semester (4 months).
You MUST first complete all of the following prior to your start date:
- Application process
- Be cleared through volunteer services, which to includes a background check and a TB skin test
- Attend hospital and child life orientation