WIC is the non-emergency Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children. If you qualify for WIC, you can receive food benefits (redeemable at grocery stores for certain nutritious foods), nutrition education and counseling, breastfeeding support and health care referrals at no cost. WIC services are available to pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding women, as well as infants and children younger up to age 5.
WIC Clinics work with families to make sure:
- pregnant women have healthy pregnancies
- infants get the best start by providing new parents with the best and latest information on feeding their infants
- young children eat right and grow strong for a bright future
- families have nutritious foods high in vitamins and minerals.
Texas WIC now offers online training.
Breastfeeding support: 210-857-4794 (calls will be returned within 24 hours for breastfeeding issues)
What will happen at my first WIC Clinic appointment?
WIC staff will determine if you qualify by:
- looking at your income,
- weighing, measuring, checking the iron level of each person applying for WIC, and
- asking questions about you and your family's health history and nutrition.
Our WIC Clinic Locations
401 N. San Saba Street
San Antonio, Texas 78207
5500 Babcock, Suite 123
San Antonio, Texas 78240
Lackland Air Force Base
2240 Walker Avenue, Building 5460
Lackland Air Force Base, Texas 78226
Texas WIC Clinic website: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/wichd/