CyberKnife® Cancer Treatment
Noninvasive Radiation Cancer Treatment
The CHRISTUS Spohn Cancer Center offers CyberKnife, an advanced radiation therapy tool. We are the only facility in south Texas that offers this procedure, bringing hope to many of our patients with cancer that cannot be treated with surgery.
What is CyberKnife?
CyberKnife is a form of noninvasive, nonsurgical radiation therapy for cancer. It is a new way of delivering radiation, a commonly used weapon against cancer. This robotic system can focus radiation from many different angles to tumors almost anywhere in the body with exceptional accuracy, causing minimal damage to healthy tissue. Another advantage of CyberKnife treatment is minimal side effects, typically fatigue or mild nausea. Your physician will discuss any potential side effects with you before your treatment.
Among the types of cancer CyberKnife can treat are:
- Brain and other cancers of the head
- Lung cancer
- Colon cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Liver cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Prostate cancer
A revolutionary tool in the fight against cancer, CyberKnife offers:
- A pain-free alternative to surgery: No anesthesia or incisions required
- Pinpoint accuracy: Precise to the width of a hair to spare healthy tissue
- Sophisticated tracking: Robotic arm can adjust to patient movement by continuous detection of the tumor
- Flexibility and versatility: Technology provides nonsurgical option for patients with complex tumors
- No hospitalization required: Outpatient treatment with little to no recovery time needed
- Reduced treatment time: Fewer sessions than traditional radiation therapy methods
- Quicker recovery: No hospital stay or extended rest required
Am I a Candidate for CyberKnife?
Your physician at the CHRISTUS Spohn Cancer Center will work with the cancer team to determine if CyberKnife® is right for you. Because CyberKnife® can reach tumors anywhere in the body, many types of cancer that were considered untreatable with surgery or not optimal for radiation therapy can now be treated.
More Information on CyberKnife® at CHRISTUS Spohn
CHRISTUS Spohn CyberKnife in Corpus Christi
A cancer diagnosis changes everything. Cancer spins your world out of control. At CHRISTUS Spohn CyberKnife in Corpus Christi, we know one thing: You are not cancer. You will not let cancer define you. You will fight. And that's why we're here.
CHRISTUS Spohn CyberKnife in Corpus Christi truly offers Cancer Treatment You Can Live With®- fewer cancer treatments and a better quality of life during cancer treatment. It is our hope that this can be the right cancer treatment option for you.
You are Not Cancer. Choose CHRISTUS Spohn CyberKnife. Call our CyberKnife Coordinator at 361-737-0600 CHRISTUS Spohn CyberKnife® consultation.
What Happens During CyberKnife® Treatment?
What Happens During CyberKnife Treatment?
If your physicians determine that you can benefit from CyberKnife treatment, our team will work together to design a treatment plan specific to you.
Here’s what you can expect during your treatment:
- Consultation: Your physician meets with you and your family to describe the treatment
- Preparation: You undergo imaging to determine the tumor’s exact location, size and shape
- Planning: Your physician designs your treatment plan in CyberKnife, targeting your tumor and determining the radiation dose
- Delivery: You lie comfortably on the treatment table as the CyberKnife robotic arm moves around you to deliver radiation
What Can I Expect After CyberKnife®Treatment?
What Can I Expect After CyberKnife Treatment?
Another advantage of CyberKnife treatment is minimal side effects, typically fatigue or mild nausea. Your physician will discuss any potential side effects with you before your treatment.
After your CyberKnife treatment, please plan to:
- Have someone take you home immediately after your treatment
- Return for a follow-up visit soon after treatment so your physician can monitor your progress
- Return for follow-up imaging in the months after your treatment so your physician can assess the tumor’s response to the radiation