The Yellow Door Project
Beyond these doors, you will find the future of Neonatal Medicine.
For over 80 years, CHRISTUS Mother Frances Hospital - Tyler has been known as the “baby” hospital of Northeast Texas. In November 2008, CHRISTUS Mother Frances Hospital - Tyler opened the first Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in Tyler, Texas. The 12-bed NICU has made it possible to provide excellent neonatal care for babies born at any gestational age, as well as full-term babies with breathing difficulties, infections and other health conditions, and to keep those babies and their families closer to home. But with the ever-increasing number of births, the NICU is in serious need of additional space
With the Yellow Door Project, our goal is to significantly expand the footprint of the NICU and to provide additional enhancements that will benefit our most fragile babies.
The new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit will enable the hospital to expand its current NICU from 12 to 28 private rooms. This will give CHRISTUS Mother Frances Hospital - Tyler the ability to meet the growing need for this specialized care. Private rooms keep the family together, encourage parental participation in the treatment planning and care of the infant, allow parents to be present for skin-to-skin care, help to support breastfeeding and the maintenance of adequate milk supply, and help to build a stronger relationship between the family and the health care teams. All of these factors combine to improve care and outcomes for the infant.
Select features of the expanded NICU:
- Private patient rooms (28 total) with advanced light and sound control systems to create a more soothing environment.
- Overnight accommodations for family member.
- Double capacity private rooms will allow twins to stay together.
- Video Monitoring System in each room allows parents to leave the hospital, but continue to watch their child on a live-feed with their cell phone.
- Transitional Care Room gives parents an overnight "trial-run" with their infant. This hotel-room style space is designed to resemble the home, with the nursing staff just outside the door.
Your Gift is the Key! You can help us open the doors to growing excellence in neonatal care, giving hope to our smallest and most fragile patients.
“You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.” Psalm 119:114