Breastfeeding Support for You & Your Newborn
Although breastfeeding is natural, it doesn't mean it will always come naturally for mothers. CHRISTUS Health offers services and consultations to help mothers with lactation support and address baby concern and breastfeeding.
Get Support Near You
Our CHRISTUS Health experts will help you understand a feeding schedule, breastfeeding positioning and more. We are here to help moms and newborns.
Services and amenities:
- One-on-one consultation with an RN/internationally board certified lactation consultant
- Consultations consist of breastfeeding history, maternal and infant health history, examination of mother’s breasts and infant’s mouth, observation and assessment of a nursing session, teaching of techniques to facilitate correct and effective breastfeeding, infant weight check with digital scale, and a written, personalized plan of care to promote breastfeeding success.
- Literature resources
Outpatient lactation support can assist with these mother concerns:
- Pain related to nipple/breast, mastitis, engorgement, plugged ducts, thrush/yeast, latch problems
- Low milk supply or oversupply and weaning support
- Health history such as fertility issues, breast surgeries, prior breastfeeding issues, hormonal issues and breast health concerns
- Slow weight gain, supplemental feeds
- Non-latching baby, suck dysfunction, oral motor issues, tongue and lip tie
- Feeding tools such as bottles, nipple shields
- Special concerns such as prematurity, multiples, traumatic birth, medical and anatomical issues
We have found that support and education contribute to the success and length of time a woman is able to breastfeed her baby. That is why The Lactation Center is staffed with a board certified Lactation Consultant, as well as specially trained Breastfeeding Educators who are committed to helping mothers succeed in breastfeeding their babies.
Physicians, midwives or nurses may refer an individual to The Lactation Center or an individual may contact us directly at any time. We are here to serve all breastfeeding mothers, and are committed to creating healthy lives for the people of east Texas.
To ensure the well-being of both the mother and her baby, we work closely with other care providers and send routine summary reports to Primary Care providers following each visit a patient makes to The Lactation Center.
During Your Hospital Stay
Following the birth of your baby, your Labor Nurse will help get you and your baby started with breastfeeding. We have found it is crucial to your breastfeeding success that we take advantage of your baby's readiness to feed in the first hour following their birth.
During your hospital stay, you will be offered an individual consultation to assess your baby’s feeding style and help you with any breastfeeding difficulties you may be experiencing. You are welcome to request to see our board certified Lactation Consultant, who is a registered nurse, qualified in the areas of lactation, newborn and postpartum care. Or you may request the assistance of a Breastfeeding Educator, who has received specialized training in lactation and breastfeeding at any time.
Setting You Up For Success
Breastfeeding should be a positive and painless experience and all Mother Baby Nurses and Nursing Assistants are trained in breastfeeding to provide the support you and your baby need. We provide information and assistance for a wide variety of breastfeeding needs including:
- Breastfeeding premature babies, multiples, babies with cleft lips or palates and even adopted babies
- Breastfeeding after breast surgery
- Re-starting breastfeeding after you have stopped