Download the application for Clinical Pastoral Education
As an educational program for spiritual ministry, CHRISTUS Spohn welcomes applications from individuals who have a sense of call to ministry, considerable religious formation and theological education, and a desire to learn. No person shall be denied admission because of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, faith group, ordination status, national origin, physical disability, or socio-economic status.
Applicants will be considered for acceptance into a program on the basis of the following criteria:
1. They have the personal maturity to be able to function responsibly and professionally in a ministry setting.
2. They have sufficient faith maturity to be supportive of persons desiring spiritual care.
3. They have the spiritual, emotional and physical stamina to safely manage the demands of the clinical setting and the intense learning.
4. They are able and willing to engage in an interactive and collaborative educational program comprised primarily of graduate level students who come from diverse cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds.
5. They can articulate specific learning goals for the program they are applying to enter.
Educational Requirements for CPE Residency
Bachelor's (required), Master of Divinity or Master in Theology, preferred.
Letters of reference or endorsement from one's church or denomination
Minimum one year experience in ministry
A previous unit of CPE strongly encouraged (ACPE or NACC accredited)
One year commitment to CHRISTUS Spohn for the duration of the CPE Residency Program
If you are interested in applying to our CPE Program, you may contact send an email to the CPE Manager, Thewodros.email@example.com or CPE Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 361.902.4890 (Memorial) or 361.881.3616 (Shoreline). After an initial conversation, we will send you the full application packet. You can also find additional information about CPE by looking up the “Information for Prospective Students Frequently Asked Questions at ACPE website at www.acpe.edu
Objectives of Clinical Pastoral Education Programs (PDF)
Make sure that the ACPE application form is fully completed and accompanied by ALL the required written responses and documentation. Include the application fee of $50.00 in your application packet.
You will be contacted for a first Screening Interview. If successful, a thorough Admission Interview process will follow at our CPE Center.