The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio Multispecialty Center – New Braunfels provides a full range of outpatient rehabilitation services including physical therapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy for children. We care for children who may have been born with certain conditions or who are recovering from surgery, injuries or chronic illnesses.
Physical therapy is aimed at helping children improve their ability to move their bodies. Some children may only need to see a physical therapist one or two times, and others may benefit from ongoing therapy to help them build stronger muscles and learn to do new things.
Children with language disorders or delays can benefit from speech therapy. Speech disorders can include difficulties with pronunciation and articulation and fluency disorders. Speech therapy can be beneficial in helping children with feeding problems such as chewing and swallowing when they may be prone to coughing, gagging, and refusing to eat.
Occupational therapy helps children with physical, sensory and cognitive challenges. By using everyday activities, exercises, and other therapies, our expert team helps children develop fine motor skills, improve eye-hand coordination, and perform basic life skills such as bathing, dressing, grooming, brushing teeth and self-feeding.
Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatment Services
- Active Assistive Range of Motion (AAROM)
- Passive Range of Motion (PROM)/Active Range of Motion (AROM)
- Developmental skills
- Endurance training
- Equipment Assessments/Training
- Functional mobility
- Gait/balance training
- Home Exercise Program (HEP)
- Manual therapy
- Modalities as indicated by physical therapy
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Vestibular rehabilitation
Occupational Therapy Evaluation and Treatment
- Activities of Daily Living
- Age-appropriate play
- Decreased range of motion
- Grasping items
- Motor planning
- Postural instability
- Sensory issues
- Visual motor skills
Speech Therapy Evaluation and Treatment
- Evaluation and treatment of oral and pharyngeal swallowing function
- Evaluation and treatment of speech sound production only
- Evaluation and treatment of speech sound production with language comprehension and expression
- Evaluation and treatment of speech sound production, language comprehension and expression, and oral and pharyngeal swallowing function
- Hearing rehabilitation/hearing habilitation