Our cardiac rehabilitation teams, which consist of registered nurses, exercise physiologist, registered dietitians and certified diabetic educators, assist patients in developing an exercise program unique to each patient’s needs and abilities. During the regularly scheduled progressive exercise training sessions, each patient’s heart rhythm, heart rate and blood pressure are closely monitored and evaluated.
Individualized lifestyle modification counseling is provided in addition to group education focusing on:
- Anatomy and physiology of the diseased heart
- Actions/indications of heart medications
- Stress management
- Heart healthy nutrition
- Smoking cessation
- Exercise safety
Patient benefits of participation in cardiac rehabilitation:
- Improved functional capacity
- Increased knowledge of heart disease
- Improved adherence to positive lifestyle changes
- Improved compliance with medical regime
- Increased self-esteem and confidence
- Reduced subsequent morbidity and mortality related to cardiovascular disease
- Participation in cardiac rehabilitation requires a physician referral and usually is covered by Medicare and most major medical insurance companies.