Atrial Fibrillation Services
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (A-fib), you’re not alone. In fact, it is the most common abnormality in the heart's rate or rhythm. A-fib originates in the atria, the upper chambers of the heart. When healthy, the heart beats in a regular, coordinated way.
A-fib causes the atria to quiver or fibrillate, which can lead to an enlarged heart (cardiomyopathy), heart failure or stroke. The goals of treatment are to eliminate contributing factors, control the heart rate, maintain heart rhythm and prevent negative outcomes, while decreasing the need for unnecessary medications.
WATCHMAN left atrial appendage closure device implant
The Louis & Peaches Owen Heart Hospital is the first in East Texas to offer the WATCHMAN device implant procedure. This new technology includes a small device about the size of a United States quarter that is inserted into the left atrial appendage through a minimally-invasive, non-open-heart surgery. The WATCHMAN device seals off the left atrial appendage to prevent blood clots and stroke, and serves as a permanent alternative to blood thinners.
Leading provider of arrhythmia management
The Louis & Peaches Owen Heart Hospital is also the leading provider of arrhythmia management in East Texas.
Our electrophysiology program provides the highest volume of complex procedures and is the longest established program in the region. The electrophysiology lab has the most comprehensive list of equipment including two 3D mapping systems, intracardiac echocardiography, open irrigated tip catheters for ablation, and an excimer laser.
Moreover, we were the first in all of Texas to use remote magnetic nagivation technology for ablations of various arrhythmias.
Comprehensive care for all ages
Our team operates on teenagers as well as patients over the age of one hundred years old. We offer a number of experimental procedures available only through a very active and leading research program.
The breadth of the services the electrophysiology team offers includes:
- Comprehensive management of atrial fibrillation including ablations, devices and medications
- Ablation of all complex atrial and ventricular arrhythmia
- Laser lead extraction
- Complex device and lead management
- Diagnostic electrophysiology studies
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy for congestive heart failure
- Implantable cardiac defibrillators for prevention for sudden cardiac death
- Comprehensive device follow up with a dedicated device clinic
- Remote follow up of devices
- Comprehensive evaluation of syncope and palpitations
- Tilt table testing
- Ambulatory monitoring
- Access to new devices and procedures via an extensive research program
Atrial Fibrillation Resource Video