Our 10,000 square-foot Sports Medicine Center complex is staffed by exemplary professionals specializing in the design and administration of personalized rehabilitative programs. We are equipped to enhance quality of life through the prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries and diseases. Our custom programs focus on helping each patient achieve individual goals to enjoy a full life.
Hours & Locations
St. Vincent Sports Medicine & Therapy Services
Services & Treatments
- Athletic Training
- Balance Center
- Lymphedema Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Outpatient Rehabilitation
- Physical Therapy
Using the latest hands-on techniques and equipment, our physical therapy services are designed to assist you in overcoming conditions or injuries of the neck, back, shoulders, hips, knees, ankles and feet, as well as to provide rehabilitative services to those affected by injuries, stroke, neuromuscular disorders and weakness caused by extended periods of inactivity.
Women's Health Physical Therapy
What is the Pelvic Floor?
The pelvic floor is a group of muscles in the pelvis that play a role in urinary continence, fecal continence, sexual intercourse, and core stabilization. Therefore, when they are not functioning correctly, you may experience urinary issues including frequency and incontinence that may include leakage with laughing, coughing, sneezing, squatting, or bending over. Dysfunction in these muscles can also result in pain with intercourse as well as low back pain, abdominal pain, and pelvic pain. Women are vulnerable to issues with the pelvic floor throughout the course of life including during pregnancy, post-partum, and menopause.
When should you talk to a doctor about a referral?
- If you are experiencing urinary or bowel incontinence (leakage).
- If you feel you are unable to completely empty your bladder or the urinary stream is not normal.
- If you are having any vaginal or anal issues following breast, uterine or gastrointestinal cancer.
- If you are experiencing dysmenorrhea (painful periods).
- If you are experiencing dyspareunia (pain with intercourse).
- If you are experiencing any musculoskeletal pain during pregnancy or post-partum.
- If you are experiencing any urinary leakage or pain with intercourse following delivery.
- If you are experiencing pain at the tailbone or near the sit bones while you are sitting.
- If you are experiencing pain in the pelvis, vagina, or lower abdomen.
- If you are experiencing a prolapse of your pelvic organs.
Rehabilitation May Include:
- Pelvic floor relaxation/strength training
- Bladder/bowel retraining
- Exercises designed to stretch/strengthen affected muscles to correct imbalances
- Manual therapy
- Restoration of normal posture and alignment
- Improvement of pelvic organ alignment
- Strategies to decrease incontinence episodes
- Improvement/restoration of joint movement
Your therapist will begin the evaluation with an interview to identify your specific problems and their effect on your daily activities. Your examination will be done in a private room. Your movement patterns will be assessed as well as your strength and flexibility. Your therapist will discuss the findings with you and provide you with education regarding your specific condition and the expectation of therapy. Any questions you have will be addressed.
At CHRISTUS St. Vincent’s Seating and Mobility Clinic (Wheelchair Clinic) our goal is to optimize your freedom of mobility, function and endurance. Together, our Occupational Therapists and Assistive Technology Professionals will work with you to determine your needs and goals and help you obtain the most comfortable and appropriate wheeled seating system on the market.
Individuals interested in an appointment for the Seating and Mobility Clinic are welcome to call with a self-referral. Each person MUST have a physician’s prescription for a “Wheelchair Evaluation by Occupational Therapist” that also includes their diagnosis on the prescription. This prescription must be less than 30 days old. All health insurance companies have coverage provisions for people needing wheelchairs, though coverage may vary.
Partnerships with Santa Fe Public Schools
The CHRISTUS St. Vincent Sports Medicine program has partnered with Santa Fe Public Schools to provide athletic training services for Santa Fe High School, Capital High School and St. Michael’s High School. The role of the athletic trainer is to provide care, prevention and rehabilitation for high school athletes. This program allows CHRISTUS St. Vincent Sports Medicine to share its experience and expertise with local high schools, thus ensuring proper education and treatment with injured high school athletes. CHRISTUS St. Vincent is proud to support all high school athletes in Northern New Mexico.