Noninvasive, Nonsurgical Radiation Therapy
CyberKnife® is a form of noninvasive, nonsurgical radiation therapy for cancer. It is a new way of delivering radiation, a commonly used weapon against cancer. This robotic system can focus radiation from many different angles to tumors almost anywhere in the body with exceptional accuracy, causing minimal damage to healthy tissue. Another advantage of CyberKnife® treatment is minimal side effects, typically fatigue or mild nausea. Your physician will discuss any potential side effects with you before your treatment.
Among the types of cancer CyberKnife® can treat are:
- Brain and other cancers of the head
- Lung cancer
- Colon cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Prostate cancer
A revolutionary tool in the fight against cancer, CyberKnife® offers:
- A pain-free alternative to surgery: No anesthesia or incisions required
- Pinpoint accuracy: Precise to the width of a hair to spare healthy tissue
- Sophisticated tracking: Robotic arm can adjust to patient movement by continuous detection of the tumor
- Flexibility and versatility: Technology provides nonsurgical option for patients with complex tumors
- No hospitalization required: Outpatient treatment with little to no recovery time needed
- Reduced treatment time: Fewer sessions than traditional radiation therapy methods
- Quicker recovery: No hospital stay or extended rest required
Am I a Candidate for CyberKnife®?
Your physician will work with the cancer team to determine if CyberKnife® is right for you. Because CyberKnife® can reach tumors anywhere in the body, many types of cancer that were considered untreatable with surgery or not optimal for radiation therapy can now be treated.
What Happens During CyberKnife® Treatment?
If your physicians determine that you can benefit from CyberKnife® treatment, our team will work together to design a treatment plan specific to you.
Here’s what you can expect during your treatment:
- Consultation: Your physician meets with you and your family to describe the treatment
- Preparation: You undergo imaging to determine the tumor’s exact location, size and shape
- Planning: Your physician designs your treatment plan in CyberKnife®, targeting your tumor and determining the radiation dose
- Delivery: You lie comfortably on the treatment table as the CyberKnife® robotic arm moves around you to deliver radiation
What Can I Expect After CyberKnife® Treatment?
Another advantage of CyberKnife® treatment is minimal side effects, typically fatigue or mild nausea. Your physician will discuss any potential side effects with you before your treatment.
After your CyberKnife® treatment, please plan to:
- Have someone take you home immediately after your treatment
- Return for a follow-up visit soon after treatment so your physician can monitor your progress
- Return for follow-up imaging in the months after your treatment so your physician can assess the tumor’s response to the radiation