CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Health System
CHRISTUS Good Shepherd by the Numbers*
- 331,831 Annual Outpatient Visits
- 17,074 Annual Inpatient Visits
- 106,937 Annual Emergency Department Visits
- 11,609 Annual Surgeries
- 1,287 Annual Babies Delivered
Good Shepherd's History
A proud heritage of innovation, dedication, and continuing community support has propelled Good Shepherd Health System to the forefront of healthcare delivery in East Texas. From a humble beginning in 1935 as the 47-bed Gregg Memorial Hospital, we have grown into a system of regional medical centers, primary and immediate care facilities, and health and wellness centers. CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Medical Centers have cared for our community for more than 180 years combined. We offer integrated, high-quality patient care and outcomes. With our excellent physicians and well-trained staff, CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Health System is dedicated to you.
CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Health System includes CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Medical Center – Longview, CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Medical Center – Marshall, CHRISTUS Good Shepherd – NorthPark Medical Plaza, and CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Heart and Vascular Institute. We will be opening our new CHRISTUS Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Institute in 2022 and are investing more than $22 million in the expansion of our NorthPark Medical Plaza, which will be completed in 2023.
Explore CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Health System
A History of Compassion
Originally affiliated with the Episcopal Diocese of Texas, the diocese had the responsibility of appointing the Longview hospital’s board. The hospital’s first expansion program was completed in 1951, raising the capacity of the facility to 80 beds. A second construction program completed in 1959 raised the capacity to 145 beds. In 1959 the center assumed the operations of Gregg Memorial Hospital from the Gregg County Commissioners Court.
In January 1972, a major construction program was completed in which the original 1935 hospital building was demolished and replaced with a four-story building containing modern equipment and constructed on a foundation capable of carrying three additional floors. The new building contained 255 beds. In 1976, the hospital became self-perpetuating when the diocese asked to be released from its obligations.
In 1981, the hospital became known as Good Shepherd Medical Center. Also in 1981, an 80-bed addition was completed which expanded the medical center’s capacity to 335 beds, used primarily for general medical and surgical services.
In 2002, the east tower was constructed, which included a new comprehensive heart center, a new day surgery suite, an expanded 40-bed emergency department, and new nursing units which include 76 monitored beds, three monitored VIP Shepherd Suites, and a 26-bed inpatient rehabilitation facility among the 135-bed private rooms. Good Shepherd has continued to enhance technology and respond to the growing health care needs of East Texas and opened the area’s first neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) in 2004. The NICU is able to provide specialized care for premature babies 26 weeks gestation and older and full-term babies born with special needs.
Through numerous building phases and name changes, Good Shepherd Medical Center - Marshall has been growing with our community and serving patients for more than 100 years. Established in 1909 by several Harrison County physicians, Good Shepherd Medical Center - Marshall was previously a not-for-profit organization called the Marshall Regional Medical Center.
In October 2007, Marshall joined the Good Shepherd Health System to improve access and quality of care throughout the region. With more coordination of care between the organizations, the association brought health care coverage to a larger region of East Texas, and it created cost efficiencies for purchasing supplies and equipment while providing the opportunity to better coordinate the development of services to the Marshall community.
We have taken pleasure in the daily inspirations of life –witnessing a family’s joy for the birth of their newborn, building relationships with our patients, and being chosen to help with the healing process. Life gives us so many opportunities to rejoice and to be inspired. Thank you for choosing Good Shepherd Medical Center - Marshall. Our passionate care gives witness that it’s more than a claim, it’s dedication.
In 2008, the capacity of the Longview NICU was doubled to 13 beds, in order to address the ongoing need to keep families together at this important early stage of life. Good Shepherd Medical Center’s Level III NICU has expanded to 31 beds to meet the special needs of high-risk infants. In addition, Good Shepherd Medical Center Longview operates as a Level II Trauma Center and becomes the first in Gregg County and the surrounding counties to provide Level II trauma care.
To show a commitment to the improvement of the community’s health, in 2008 Good Shepherd opened the Institute for Healthy Living, a 75,000-square-foot medically-integrated wellness center that houses cardiac rehabilitation, physical therapy, sports medicine, outpatient therapy, and speech therapy, among other retail services, such as a fully-equipped fitness center and a medical spa.
The Institute for Healthy Living provides advanced outpatient rehabilitative services, as well as comprehensive fitness and wellness facilities. With 75,000 square feet of space, we deliver medical, educational, and fitness programs including:
- Aquatic center
- Fitness and group exercise
- Nutrition and lifestyle counseling
- Rehabilitative services
As Gregg County’s largest employer, CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Health System has a significant economic impact on East Texas. This impact takes on greater importance as the level of charity care continues to rise. As a not-for-profit organization, CHRISTUS Good Shepherd provided more than $39 million of uncompensated care in FY 2021. There is no local, state, or federal tax support for this care.
On February 1, 2017, Good Shepherd Health System became a part of CHRISTUS Health bringing together two prestigious health systems to create CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Health System. The two health systems combined to improve access to care for patients and expand healthcare services throughout East Texas.