A History of Compassion
The story of Good Shepherd Health System
A proud heritage of innovation, dedication and continuing community support have propelled Good Shepherd Health System to the forefront of healthcare delivery in East Texas. From a humble beginning in 1935 as the 47-bed Gregg Memorial Hospital, we have grown into a system of regional medical centers, primary and immediate care facilities, and health and wellness centers.
Origins in Longview
Originally affiliated with the Episcopal Diocese of Texas, the diocese had the responsibility of appointing the Longview hospital’s board. The hospital’s first expansion program was completed in 1951, raising the capacity of the facility to 80 beds. A second construction program completed in 1959 raised the capacity to 145 beds. In 1959 the center assumed the operations of Gregg Memorial Hospital from the Gregg County Commissioners Court.
In January 1972, a major construction program was completed in which the original 1935 hospital building was demolished and replaced with a four-story building containing modern equipment and constructed on a foundation capable of carrying three additional floors. The new building contained 255 beds. In 1976, the hospital became self-perpetuating when the diocese asked to be released from its obligations.
In 1981, the hospital became known as Good Shepherd Medical Center. Also in 1981, an 80-bed addition was completed which expanded the medical center’s capacity to 335 beds, used primarily for general medical and surgery services.
In 2002 the east tower was constructed, which included a new comprehensive heart center, a new day surgery suite, an expanded 40-bed emergency department, and new nursing units which include 76 monitored beds, three monitored VIP Shepherd Suites, and a 26-bed inpatient rehabilitation facility among the 135-bed private rooms. Good Shepherd has continued to enhance technology and respond to the growing health care needs of East Texas and opened the area’s first neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) in 2004. The NICU is able to provide specialized care for premature babies 26 weeks gestation and older and full-term babies born with special needs.
Marshall Joins the System
In 2007, Good Shepherd Medical Center Marshall
joined the Good Shepherd Health System. Good Shepherd Medical Center Marshall is a 149-bed facility with an intensive care unit, inpatient rehabilitative, skilled nursing care services and a 24-hour Level III Trauma Center. It is the only hospital located in Harrison and Marion counties.
Expanding the Longview NICU
In 2008, the capacity of the Longview NICU was doubled to 13 beds, in order to address the ongoing need to keep families together at this important early stage of life. Good Shepherd Medical Center’s Level III NICU has expanded to 31 beds to meet the special needs of high risk infants. In addition, Good Shepherd Medical Center Longview operates as a Level II Trauma Center and becomes the first in Gregg County and the surrounding counties to provide Level II trauma care.
Institute for Healthy Living
Institute for Healthy Living
To show a commitment to the improvement of the community’s health, in 2008 Good Shepherd opened the Institute for Healthy Living, a 75,000-square-foot medically-integrated wellness center that houses cardiac rehabilitation, physical therapy, sports medicine, outpatient therapy and speech therapy, among other retail services, such as a fully equipped fitness center and a medical spa.
The Institute for Healthy Living provides advanced outpatient rehabilitative services, as well as comprehensive fitness and wellness facilities. With 75,000 square feet of space, we deliver medical, educational and fitness programs including:
- Aquatics center
- Group exercise
- Nutrition and lifestyle counseling
- Rehabilitative services
- Healthy living spa
Introducing Good Shepherd Medical Associates
The new multi-specialty group of physicians and mid-level providers – all affiliated with the Good Shepherd Health System – provides services in communities throughout East Texas. At its launch, CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Medical Associates had more than 120 providers representing more than 20 specialties.
Learn more about Good Shepherd Medical Associates.
A Bright Future
A Bright Future
As Gregg County’s largest employer, Good Shepherd Health System has a significant economic impact on East Texas with more than 3,000 employees. This impact takes on greater importance as the level of charity care continues to rise. As a not-for-profit organization, Good Shepherd provided more than $241 million of uncompensated care in 2011. There is no local, state or federal tax support for this care. Good Shepherd continues to meet an ever-increasing demand for medical services as Medicare/Medicaid reimbursements continue to decrease.
Learn how you can donate your time or resources
Good Shepherd Health System Joins CHRISTUS Health
On February 1,2017 Good Shepherd Health System became a part of CHRISTUS Health bringing together two prestigious health systems to create CHRISTUS Good Shepherd Health System. The two health systems work together to improve access to care for patients and expands health care services throughout East Texas.