Healthcare Exploration Program
Healthcare Exploration Program
June 1 – 25, 2020
A Summer Program For Teens Interested In Healthcare Careers
The Healthcare Exploration Program is an introduction to a wide variety of disciplines and medical professions. Students are exposed to patient care and how departments and professions work together to perform the functions of a comprehensive medical facility. Rotations through various departments enable students to observe practices and procedures, interact with providers, and experience what it is like to work in the healthcare field. Presentations, discussions, and hands-on activities and projects round out the program to create a dynamic, in-depth educational experience.
Thank you for your interest in the Healthcare Exploration Program. Please complete the following application form and short essays, and provide all other requested documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered. All applications, in their completed form, may be submitted beginning January 6, 2020 and are due by 4:00 p.m. on February 7, 2020 and must be submitted electronically. Paper submissions will not be accepted.
Your Application must include:
- Completed application electronically signed by student and parent/guardian
- Personal recommendation uploaded with your application
- Teacher recommendation submitted by recommender
- Official copy of transcripts and attendance/tardy records from the past academic year and current academic year through the end of the second quarter or first semester of the 2019-2020 academic year-uploaded by school registrar
- Responses to short essay questions
Failure to include any of the application materials, or leaving blanks in the application form, will result in the disqualification of your application.
All application materials will be accepted beginning January 6, 2020 and must be submitted and received by 4:00 p.m. on February 7, 2020. Faxed, emailed or paper applications will not be accepted. Incomplete and late applications will not be considered. Applicants who are selected to be interviewed will be notified by the end of March 2020 via email.
Qualifications for participation in the program:
- The Healthcare Exploration Program (HEP) is only for current high school students and high school seniors graduated by June 2020.
- All successful applicants must agree to a drug/alcohol test before they begin the program. Should the successful applicant have a drug test positive for any drug for which they do not have a current prescription, they will be eliminated from the program.
- Only applicants that will be 16 years old by the start of the program will be considered.
- Only applicants who attend a school with district offices in Santa Fe County will be considered.
- Only applicants who have received all childhood immunizations will be considered. There is no conscientious objector allowance. Immunizations records will be submitted to the Employee Health nurse when successful applicants complete the drug/alcohol screening.
- Applicants who are finalists must be interviewed by the selection committee. If a student is unable to attend an interview, they will not be considered for the program. Students selected for an interview will be notified by the end of March 2020. Interviews will be held April 2020.
- The 2020 program will be held Monday-Thursday, June 1-25, day hours as arranged*. Only students who can attend the entire program will be considered. Please DO NOT apply if you are unavailable during published program dates. *Schedule may vary based on activities and assignments.
- Applicants must have a valid email address that they check daily as all communication is via email. Applicants who do not respond to email correspondence will be eliminated from consideration.
- Cumulative grade point average must be a “B” (3.0) or better at the time of application. GPA for the past academic year through most recent quarter or semester is considered.
- Those applicants with excessive tardiness or unexplained absences will not be considered.
- Only one personal and one teacher recommendation will be considered. Personal Letters of recommendation are included by applicant with rest of application packet. Teacher Letters of Recommendation will be submitted electronically by the recommender. Applicant must provide recommender contact information in the appropriate section of the application.
Note: All applications are blinded for student and parent identities, address, gender, and school attended before the applications are distributed to the members of the selection committee and that information is not used in deciding who is chosen to be interviewed. Should an applicant wish to have an employee of CHRISTUS St. Vincent serve as a reference, that employee should be asked to complete the personal reference form. Telephone calls, emails, and other personal contact of the selection committee is not allowed.
Applicant information is used for the expressed purpose of program selection only and is not shared, sold or otherwise distributed to any outside entity.