We have been transformed into a world-class children’s hospital – both inside and out. In a typical year, we project that we will provided inpatient care to 5,000 children, 80,000 emergency department visits (including our downtown campus and our freestanding pediatric emergency center in Westover Hills), and 73,000 outpatients visits.
The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio employees number 1,000, of which 400 are nurses. We were licensed as the first freestanding children’s hospital in San Antonio by the Joint Commission on September 18, 2012.
In February 2013, The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio finalized agreements with Texas’ top pediatric medical providers, Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children’s Hospital. Baylor College of Medicine recruits, employs, and oversees physicians. Texas Children’s Hospital provides consulting and clinical expertise for The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio.
Other notable firsts include:
- First Pediatric Emergency Room (ER) in San Antonio
- First hospital in Texas to perform a revolutionary new technique for Cerebral Palsy called Intrathecal Baclofen.
- Established the pediatric rehabilitation unit, the first of its kind in South Texas devoted solely to the physical rehabilitation of children.
- Performed the first Thoroscopic Scoliosis surgery in South Texas.
- First and only Children’s Miracle Network hospital in San Antonio.
- Opened the first comprehensive regional Children’s Cancer Center in San Antonio. San Antonio’s first fully licensed and approved helistop - for use by emergency transport teams.
- First San Antonio hospital to admit husbands in the delivery room.
An Established Legacy of Care
The moment the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word arrived in San Antonio in 1869, health care for children was transformed. Brought here to pursue a ministry of health care by Claude Marie Dubuis, a Frenchman who was the Bishop of all Texas, three Sisters arrived in San Antonio to find a town plagued by a cholera epidemic and the remnants of the Civil War. By 1891, the Sisters congregation had grown to nearly 200 and had established the Santa Rosa Infirmary.
The Sisters continued to care for the children of San Antonio throughout the 20th century, building the first and only hospital for children, Santa Rosa Children’s Hospital, in 1959. The hospital became part of the CHRISTUS family in 1999.
The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio will be the culmination of the vision of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word and the CHRISTUS Health System leadership.