Family Advisory Board
The Family Advisory Board at The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio was established with the purpose of improving the experiences of our patients and families. It is a voluntary group made up of family members of patients of The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio along with hospital staff and leadership.
The board meets on a regular basis with the goal to shape change throughout the Children’s Hospital by:
- Participating in forming policies and procedures that are focused on patients and their families
- Serving as a family advisor on hospital committees
- Education medical students, residents, new employees, and other Associates about the experience of care from the perspective of a patient and family member
- Improving patient safety
- Designing a more welcoming environment
- Creating and reviewing educational materials and forms
If you would like to get involved in with the Family Advisory Board, please contact us at email@example.com or fill out our online form for more information.
The Children's Hospital of San Antonio
Family Advisory Board
333 North Santa Rosa Street
San Antonio, Texas 78207
Family Advisory Board Co-Chairs:
Staff: Lyndsey Paulson, Director of Child Life
Parent: DD Belair
Members of the Family Advisory Board partner with The Children's Hospital of San Antonio to transform children's lives and redefine pediatric medicine.
- To work together with the staff of The Children's Hospital of San Antonio to promote Patient and Family-Centered care
- To collaborate with staff to improve the quality of care provided to children and their families in both inpatient and outpatient facilities
- To improve patient and family satisfaction
- To assure an attractive environment designed in keeping with the principles of patient and family-centered care that is responsive to the needs of children and their families
- To offer input to The Children's Hospital of San Antonio leadership in planning and evaluating services, programs, policies and new or remodeled facilities
- To promote a positive relationship between the hospital and the community
- To contribute to the education of present and future health care providers
Recruitment & Selection:
Family Advisory Board (FAB) members are recruited through communications to Children's Hospital staff, patients, families and the community. Applications are accepted year round and candidates are screened and interviewed by the FAB Co-Chairs and Nominating Committee. Once candidates are screened, members are selected based on factors such as; capacity to listen, sharing of thoughts and opinions on health care experiences, offering different points of view and their representation of the San Antonio and South Central Texas community at large.
How to Apply:
There are several steps in the application process to become a member The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio Family Advisory Boards.
- Membership application
- Phone interview
- FAB parent conversation
- Background check
- Flu shot (mandatory)
- Orientation with Volunteer Services
If you have questions, or for more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 210-704-2534
Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month from 6:00-8:00 p.m. in the Najim Family Child Life Center on the 1st floor of the Hospital.
Click below to download our Guide for Families:
Our goals for Fiscal Year 2021 include:
- Provide support to our Associates and families during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Continue to host a monthly FAB Family Meal for inpatient families
- Continue recruitment of new FAB members
- Participate in the PFCC "Better Together" campaign to include monthly FAB rounding of inpatient units
- Continue to develop and share family stories as a way to educate physicians and associates
- Expand Care Partner Rounding to all inpatient units in The Children's Hospital of San Antonio
- Continue to utilize Comfort Carts during Care Partner Rounding