Our team of Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM) are board certified by the American Midwifery Certification Board and are licensed as Registered Nurses and Midwifery. Midwives provide compassionate, holistic and evidence based prenatal and gynecologic care to women across many stages of life. We are excited to offer this program to San Antonio and the surrounding area.
A Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM) is a registered nurse who has earned a graduate degree in midwifery. CNMs are trained to manage normal, low-risk pregnancies and deliveries and care of the infant up to 28 days of life, and gynecological care throughout a women’s life. Our CNMs also collaborate and work with the high-risk physicians (MFMs) to assist in delivering patients with high risk fetal or maternal conditions. Our CNMs deliver babies in the hospital. If you are interested in Certified Nurse Midwife care, contact our office at 210.704.4840. Anyone can refer their patients to our office. After a review of your medical records, you will be contacted by one of our Certified Nurse Midwives. Once accepted, our CNM team will schedule you for an appointment. Upon check-in, our team will introduce themselves, ask for a brief report, meet with the mom, and family to discuss the plan of care. Our maternal-fetal medicine physicians oversee all high-risk pregnancies.
Patient scheduling and follow-up
Patients receive regular prenatal and gynecological care in our office. The Certified Nurse Midwives deliver at both CHRISTUS Children’s and CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Hospital – Westover Hills.
Hours & Locations
Children's Center for Midwifery and Women's Health
Why choose a Certified Nurse Midwife for your care?
- We are trained to care for both low-risk and high-risk pregnancies and deliveries at any gestational age.
- We work in collaboration with the high risk maternal and fetal team to involve and include the patient in shared decision making to honor their birth wishes and plan for a safe delivery.
- We build a trusting relationship with our patients promoting patient-centered care and informed decision making.
- We provide support during labor and delivery by normalizing and assisting women through the labor process.
- We believe in supporting women during their pregnancy by advocating for them and minimizing medical interventions when at all possible.
- We provide hands-on care throughout the woman’s pregnancy, labor, delivery, and postpartum care.
- We support mothers who have babies with complex medical conditions during prenatal, intrapartum and postpartum period.
- We have a specialized maternal transport team that is available 24/7.
- We are academically affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine provides access to the most comprehensive and experienced team of Maternal-Fetal Medicine physicians in San Antonio.
Common reasons to choose a Certified Nurse Midwife
- Shorter Hospital stays for moms and infants.
- Decreased risk of preterm birth.
- Decreased risk of having a Cesarean birth.
- Decreased occurrence of third- and fourth-degree lacerations.
- Reduced rates of labor induction and augmentation.
- Increased satisfaction with quality of care.
- If you are diagnosed with a high-risk condition, you can see both the Maternal-Fetal Medicine physician and your certified nurse midwife to optimize your care.
- Focus on providing holistic care for pregnancy and the postpartum period.